Sunday, January 13, 2013

Lumia920, improving battery life




I have used my Lumia  920 for some weeks, abroad and in Finland. Battery life was a problem, but now it seems that by switching off the GPS I get roughly two days on one charge, under normal use. The GPS is draining the battery even if you are not using Maps or Navigation.  I also disabled as many background processes as possible, only using Battery Widget and Weather View. I also use only the Facebook App, not the integrated version, but I am not sure about the effect on battery drain. Whats up could also be an issue; I configured my email account to synchronize only once an hour. With these settings I can use the phone for two days, using a full recharge cycle.

Using the GPS abroad works better than my Symbian E7, which needs an external Bluetooth module to fix (or you have to wait for half an hour). The Lumia 920 works without internet connection, although it sometimes fell back to the position of GSM towers, due to poor sky visibility.  However, it functioned well, and also the offline navigation worked as well as one can expect.

Some suggestions for improvements; I would like to have an App to monitor the GPS behavior, I do not know if it is using GPS, Glonass, or both, this would be important to check functionality.  Actually we do not know whether the phone is actually using Glonass or not.

Another App I would like to have is a Tile to switch the GPS on and off, like the ones used for WLAN or Bluetooth. Actually this GPS-switch is available, it has been added to Connectivity Shortcuts App.

Another way to improve battery life is to switch to 2G network, this is likely using less power, and will be useful when traveling, as the phone will constantly try to switch between 2G, 3G and 4G.


No comments:

Post a Comment